Read Down Your Fines
Starting Jun 01, 2014, children can spend time reading in the library, and earn "credits" to pay overdue fines on their library cards, purchase a replacement card, or buy a book bag (15 mins. = One Dewey Buck). The credit does not apply to charges for lost or damaged materials.
How it works:
- Children and teens up to age 17 can participate.
- To receive "Dewey Bucks," children must sign in with a Youth Service staff member who will record time.
While in the library, they can get credit for:
- Reading by themselves.
- Reading to/with younger children.
- If children are reading to each other, both earn credit.
- Any print media will be accepted, e.g. books, magazines and newspapers.
- Upon completing 15 minutes of reading, a “Dewey Buck” will be issued by library staff member.
- "Dewey Bucks" can be redeemed at the Library's circulation desk to remove overdue fines, purchase a replacement card, or buy a book bag.
- Fines must be paid first before any other purchase.