On April 27, 2019 at the Palm Beach County Library System’s 50th anniversary celebration at the Main Library, a new and exciting endeavor will take flight: the birding backpack!
The birding backpack is a kit that includes everything you need to enjoy your next birding adventure, and it’s free to check out with your Palm Beach County Library System card! Each backpack has enough pockets for you to carry water bottles, sunscreen, hats and anything else you may need on a beautiful Florida day. Inside, you will find a high quality pair of adult binoculars, two pairs of children’s binoculars and a guide to Florida birds. While supplies last, each bag will also come with an Audubon guide to birding locations, wipes to keep the lenses clean, and a pamphlet that describes the locations and amenities available at each Palm Beach County park.
Why birding backpacks? Palm Beach County is a world-renowned destination for birders and nature lovers, and the Library System has maintained one of the largest ornithological collections in the Southeast United States for over 35 years, thanks to its partnership with the Audubon Society of the Everglades. This new venture will allow the Library to serve as a resource for both novice and expert birders.
Birding backpacks will be located at the Main Library (Summit Blvd., West Palm Beach) and at the Acreage, Belle Glade, Hagen Ranch Road, Jupiter & Wellington Branch, but library members can place a hold on these items from the Library’s online catalog to be sent to any branch.
This project was made possible through the generosity of the Friends of the Palm Beach County Library System, the Audubon Society of the Everglades and R.J. Roberts & Co. Make sure to reserve your birding backpack today!
What is in the Birding Backpack?
- The backpack is an OGIO Fugitive Pack with the Library and Audubon Society logos on it.
- The adult binocular is a Vanguard Spirit XF 8420.
- The children’s binoculars (2) are BlueCabi 6x21mm Children Binoculars by Bresser.
- Each bag also has a laminated copy of “Florida Birds: A Folding Pocket Guide to Familiar Species ISBN: 9781583551059.
The following items will be given out to members while supplies last:
- Lens wipes.
- Moleskine Cahier Blank Notebook (5.5” x 3.5”).
- Audubon Society of the Everglades Birding Locations pamphlet.
- Palm Beach County Parks & Recreation Park Guide.