Dig Into Reading
Just Dig It!
Books for Younger Readers
- Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel Burton, Virginia Lee When Mike Mulligan and his steam shovel, Mary Ann, lose their jobs to the gasoline, electric, and diesel motor shovels, they go to a little country town where they find that one new job leads to another.
- One Potato, Two Potato DeFelice, Cynthia A very poor, humble couple live so simple a life they share everything, until the husband discovers a pot with magical powers buried under the very last potato in the garden.
- Growing Vegetable Soup Ehlert, Lois A father and child grow vegetables and then make them into a soup.
- Pirate Pete's Talk Like a Pirate Kennedy, Kim In search of a crew, Pirate Pete and his parrot look for "stanky scallywags" who possess certain conversational skills.
- How I Became a Pirate Long, Melinda Jeremy Jacob joins Braid Beard and his pirate crew and finds out about pirate language, pirate manners, and other aspects of their life.
- The Construction Alphabet Book Pallotta, Jerry Go through the alphabet with a variety of construction equipment.
- Rah, Rah, Radishes! Sayre, April Celebrates fresh vegetables, nature’s bright colors, and the joy of healthy eating.
- Digger Man Zimmerman, Andrea A young boy imagines how he will use his digger to make a park where he and his little brother can play.
For Older Readers
- Food Jokes to Tickle Your Funny Bone Bozzo, Linda Jokes, limericks, knock-knock jokes, tongue twisters, and fun facts about different fruits, vegetables and more.
- Stone Soup: an Old Tale Brown, Marcia When three hungry soldiers come to a town where all the food has been hidden, they set out to make soup of water and stones, and all the town enjoys a feast.
- How to Be a Pirate Cowell, Cressida Follows the further adventures and misadventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third as his Viking training continues and his father leads a stranger and the Hairy Hooligans to the Isle of Skullions in search of a pirate's treasure.
- Garbage Helps Our Garden Grow Glaser, Linda Follow a family through the year as they tend to the compost bin in their backyard and use the newly created soil in their garden.
- Judy Moody & Stink: the Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt McDonald, Megan During a weekend trip to Ocracoke Island, siblings Judy and Stink Moody take part in a pirate treasure-hunting game, in which various clues lead them to silver coins, or "pieces of eight," hidden across the island.
- Pirates Past Noon Osborne, Mary Pope The magic treehouse whisks Jack and Annie back to the days of deserted islands, secret maps, hidden gold, and nasty pirates.
- Fantastic Farm Machines Peterson, Cris Introduces twelve types of farm machinery.
- Compost Stew: an A to Z Recipe for the Earth Siddals, Mary McKenna A rhyming recipe explains how to make the dark, crumbly, rich, earth-friendly food called compost.