Dig Into Reading
Digging Up Trouble
Books for Younger Readers
- Trouble with Trolls Brett, Jan While climbing Mt. Baldy, Treva outwits some trolls who want to steal her dog.
- That's What Leprechauns Do Bunting, Eve When leprechauns Ari, Boo, and Col need to place the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, they cannot help getting into mischief along the way.
- Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! Fleming, Candace After planting the garden he has dreamed of for years, Mr. McGreely tries to find a way to keep some persistent bunnies from eating all his vegetables.
- Rosie's Walk Hutchins, Pat Although unaware that a fox is after her as she takes a walk around the farmyard, Rosie the hen still manages to lead him into one accident after another.
- The Wolf's Chicken Stew Kasza, Keiko A hungry wolf's attempts to fatten a chicken for his stewpot have unexpected results.
- Tim O'Toole and the Wee Folk McDermott, Gerald A very poor Irishman is provided with magical things by the "wee folk", but he must then keep his good fortune out of the hands of the greedy McGoons.
- Silly Goose McGee, Marni When Fox tricks Goose into believing she has lost her ears and needs a new pair, Rabbit catches on and summons the other animals of Frog Jump Pond to help rescue her.
For Older Readers
- Modern Fairies, Dwarves, Goblins & Other Nasties: a Practical Guide by Miss Edythe McFate Blume, Lesley A compendium of practical information and cautionary tales about fairies and other similar magical creatures that might be encountered in modern cities like New York, intended to help the child who may come into contact with them.
- Artemis Fowl Colfer, Eoin When a twelve-year-old evil genius tries to restore his family fortune by capturing a fairy and demanding a ransom in gold, the fairies fight back with magic, technology, and a particularly nasty troll.
- Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You DiTerlizzi, Tony Meet the boggarts, changelings, pixies, goblins and other creatures of Arthur Spiderwick's magical, fantastical world.
- A Gaggle of Goblins Harper, Suzanne Nine-year-old Poppy's parents are paranormal investigators who have never actually found anything, but that may change when they move to Austin, Texas, and Poppy meets a goblin in the attic of their new house.
- Love and Roast Chicken Knutson, Barbara In this folktale from the Andes, a clever guinea pig repeatedly outsmarts the fox that wants to eat him for dinner.
- Trick of the Tale Matthews, John An illustrated collection of tales featuring notable trickster characters such as Raven and Hare, from the folk traditions of many countries.
- Coyote: a Trickster Tale from the American Southwest McDermott, Gerald Coyote, who has a nose for trouble, insists that the crows teach him how to fly, but the experience ends in disaster for him.
- Sure as Sunrise: Stories of Bruh Rabbit & His Walkin' Talkin' Friends McGill, Alice Five trickster tales feature Bruh Rabbit, Bruh Snake, and Bruh Cooter taking clever advantage of their softhearted or foolish fellow critters.