Dig Into Reading
Books for Younger Readers
- Honey-- Honey-- Lion! Brett, Jan After working together to obtain honey, the African honey badger always shares it with his partner, the honeyguide bird, until one day when the honey badger becomes greedy and his feathered friend decides to teach him a lesson.
- A House for Hermit Crab Carle, Eric A hermit crab who has outgrown his old shell moves into a new one, which he decorates and enhances with the various sea creatures he meets in his travels.
- Diary of a Worm Cronin, Doreen A young worm discovers, day by day, that there are some very good and some not so good things about being a worm in this great big world.
- Hunwick's Egg Fox, Mem When a wild storm sends a beautiful egg to Hunwick the bandicoot's burrow, he decides to give it a home and become its friend.
- Ant and Grasshopper Gray, Luli In this variation of the old tale of the ant who gathers food for winter, and the grasshopper who does not prepare, there is an unexpected ending.
- Turtle, Turtle, Watch Out! Sayre, April From before the time she hatches until she returns to the same beach to lay eggs of her own, a sea turtle is helped to escape from danger many times by different human hands.
- The Great Fuzz Frenzy Stevens, Janet When a tennis ball lands in a prairie dog town, the residents find that their newfound frenzy for fuzz creates a fiasco.
- Two Bad Ants Van Allsburg, Chris When two bad ants desert from their colony, they experience a dangerous adventure that convinces them to return to their former safety.
For Older Readers
- Fantastic Mr. Fox Dahl, Roald Three farmers, each one meaner than the other, try all-out warfare to get rid of the fox and his family.
- Hoot Hiaasen, Carl Roy, who is new to his small Florida community, becomes involved in another boy's attempt to save a colony of burrowing owls from a proposed construction site.
- Interrupted Journey: Saving Endangered Sea Turtles Lasky, Kathryn Describes efforts to protect sea turtles, particularly Kemp's ridley turtles, and help them reproduce and replenish their once-dwindling numbers.
- Marty McGuire Digs Worms! Messner, Kate With help from her Grandma Barb, Marty builds a habitat for worms in her school cafeteria as part of the Save the Earth Project.
- Junie B. Jones Smells Something Fishy Park, Barbara Frustrated because the rules for her class's Pet Day will not let her take her dog to school, Junie B. Jones considers taking a raccoon, a worm, a dead fish, and other unusual replacements.
- Wiggling Worms at Work Pfeffer, Wendy Explains how earthworms eat, move, and reproduce and how they help plants to grow.
- How to Eat Fried Worms Rockwell, Thomas Two boys set out to prove that worms can make a delicious meal.