- Summer Days Are Slipping Away
- Geddy the Gecko and Super Geddy
- Summer Reading Program Online
- Quickbyte: GCFLearnFree.org
Welcome to the July Issue of
Books & Bytes!
There is always a lot going on at the Library, so be sure to visit our website, Facebook, Instagram, Google+ and Twitter often to keep up-to-date!
Did you know we have 24 other email newsletters? They are packed with suggested books, DVDs, events and more. You can sign up or read the most recent issues of each, by clicking on the titles on this page.
Summer Days Are Slipping Away
Summer in South Florida always includes afternoon showers. Since you can't go to the beach what are you going to do? Here is a list of things you can do at the library while it is storming outside:
- Bring home up to 50 items including 10 DVDs/Blu-ray Discs.
- Be a part of the Summer Reading Program and get prizes, and enter to win a Kindle Fire.
- Come to a program and learn a new craft.
- Book time in the CreationStation and create a video, music or podcast.
- Enroll in a computer class.
- Catch a movie or a book discussion.
- Brush up on the basic steps of Salsa.
- Get a LAMP pass and visit a museum.
- Be a guest at a Java Jam session or bring your acoustic instrument and band together.
- Flip through Happenings for a complete list of programs.
If you don't want to venture out into the downpour, you can enjoy using the library online:
Enjoy the summer!
Geddy the Gecko and Super Geddy
Geddy the Gecko discovers that he can be an everyday hero by learning how to read and helping others even if he doesn't have superpowers. Suddenly, he transforms into Super Geddy and finds he has an awesome superpower - the power to break-dance. Nonstop audience participation and dancing. All ages. (45 min.) Preregister.
- Wed, Jul 08, 11:00 am - Glades Road Branch
- Wed, Jul 08, 3:30 pm - West Boca Branch
- Thu, Jul 09, 10:00 am - Clarence E. Anthony Branch
- Thu, Jul 09, 1:00 pm - Loula V. York Branch
- Thu, Jul 09, 3:15 pm - Belle Glade Branch
- Fri, Jul 10, 10:00 am - Hagen Ranch Road Branch
- Fri, Jul 10, 1:30 pm - West Boynton Branch
- Sat, Jul 11, 11:00 am - Greenacres Branch
- Sat, Jul 11, 2:30 pm - Lantana Road Branch
- Tue, Jul 14, 10:30 am - Okeechobee Blvd. Branch
- Tue, Jul 14, 3:00 pm - Gardens Branch
- Wed, Jul 15, 2:00 pm - Royal Palm Beach Branch
- Wed, Jul 15, 4:30 pm - Acreage Branch
- Thu, Jul 16, 11:00 am - Jupiter Branch
- Thu, Jul 16, 2:00 pm - Tequesta Branch
Summer Reading Program Online
Jun 08 - Jul 31 |
This year we've added a new online component to the Summer Reading Program. Share virtual activities, programs and experiences for a chance to win a Kindle Fire HD 6! Try an activity, attend a program, or read a book from each category below and share your experiences and photos. Complete at least one activity, program, or book from each category to earn a chance to win a Kindle Fire HD 6.
All ages can participate! Share your progress with #pbclibrary.
Click on each category to see a list of suggested activities and enter to win!
The Palm Beach County Library offers free computer classes in branches throughout the system, but sometimes you just want to practice what you've learned. There are many websites where you can find online tutorials, and GCFLearnFree, created by the Goodwill Community Foundation and Goodwill Industries of Eastern NC, stands out as one of the best.
GCFLearnFree.org offers 125 tutorials, including more than 1,100 lessons and videos, all for free. The tutorials are categorized by Technology Basics, Living in the Online World, Essential Skills (including reading and math), Work and Career, and Microsoft Office, making the one that you want easy to search for. For example, in Living in the Online World, you'll find tutorials on social media, digital photography, tablets and more. Many GCFLearnFree tutorials are also available in Spanish and Portuguese at GCFAprendeLibre.org or GCFAprendeLivre.org.
If online tutorials are not your cup of tea, try a free online course. Register and work at your own pace, plus have the advantage of a team of instructors who will provide you with feedback and help. When completed, you will recieve a certificate of completion and can earn CEU's for the coursework.
So take advantage of the great computer classes offered at Palm Beach County Library System branches, then practice, practice, practice using GCFLearnFree.org. It's a fantastic resource, and all available at no cost!
Until Next Time
Books & Bytes is published around the beginning of each month. To unsubscribe from Books & Bytes, click on the "Unsubscribe" link at the bottom of this message.
You may contact us by regular mail at:
Palm Beach County Library System
3650 Summit Blvd.
West Palm Beach, FL 33406
Books & Bytes is a publication of the Palm Beach County Library System. Copyright 2015.
Florida Public Records Law: Under Florida law, email addresses are public records. If you do not want your email address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.